Soup & Stew Donabe, "Miso-shiru Nabe" (large)
8 - 10
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ medium sweet onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small knob, ginger, minced
- 1/6 medium kabocha, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 cups (750 ml) vegetable stock
- 4 ears corn, sliced off from cobs
- 2 tablespoons Saikyo miso (sweet white miso)
- 1 tablespoon shio-koji (can be substituted with 1 teaspoon salt)
- some white pepper
- some very fine olive oil
- In "Miso-shiru Nabe", heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger over medium heat until the onion is very soft (about 5 minutes). Add the kabocha and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable stock. Turn the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Add all the corn except for 1 cup (240 ml). Simmer until the kabocha is cooked through (about 5 minutes). Turn off the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the content to a blender. Add the miso, shio-koji, and some white pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the blended mixture back to "Miso-shiru Nabe". Add the remaining corn and bring to simmer over medium-heat. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve into individual soup bowls and with some drizzle of fine olive oil and sprinkle of white pepper
Serving suggestion: Garnish with tender asparagus.