Tortoise is a curated multi-functional retail space dedicated to Japanese design, craft and art. With our recent expansion to a new location in mar vista California, we are also looking to grow our Tortoise staff.
Position: Part-time and full-time associates with weekend availability
Start date: As soon as possible
Location: Los Angeles based candidates preferred
Language: English and Japanese fluency strongly preferred
Salary: $15/hour (training) / $17/hour (part-time) / TBD (full-time)
Please email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting as soon as possible, Tortoise is seeking an enthusiastic retail associate with background knowledge of Japanese culture and design. Japanese language fluency is strongly preferred.
The ideal candidate would possess previous retail or retail-related experience, and have the ability to deliver natural and engaging customer service in the form of sharing advice, personal experience, and product knowledge.
The ability to learn information quickly and having a strong desire to learn about product design and product history is a must. Team work is also an essential part of our small operation and candidates must be flexible and able to multi-task duties with ease. Candidates with strong Microsoft office skills and familiarity with apple products is also preferred.
Weekend availability is a requirement for this position. Both part-time and full-time employees must be available to work 8 hour shifts on select days during our business hours: Tuesday – Sunday from 10 am to 6:30 pm.
There will be a paid training and trial period before official employment is offered long-term.
We hope to have some great people join our team! Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you!
Associate duties include:
- Greeting and welcoming guests, responding to customer questions, improving engagement with merchandise by providing friendly and helpful customer service from start to finish
- Handling register operations, reporting on daily sales, reaching targeted sales goals, processing returns and exchanges
- Fulfilling online orders, packing shipments, keeping up to date with the store’s online presence (social media, 3rd party press and the online store)
- Maintaining professional correspondence with vendors and customers by email and phone, alerting customers with waiting list items
- Organizing and receiving new inventory, maintaining sales floor appearance by assisting with merchandising and cleaning
- Gift wrapping according to store’s guidelines
- Using expert product knowledge to cross-sell merchandise and grow sales
- Advising and educating customers on product origins, usage, care instructions and maintenance
- Assisting with Tortoise events and workshops, and helping with outreach, promotion and the event itself when required